I spent the weekend with old friends and was inspired to make a playlist for one who’s been through a really trying year. Loss, accomplishments, and personal growth will define 2014 for her for the rest of her life, and I hope to empathize through this mix.
- If You Were Gay - Avenue Q soundtrack
- The Only Place - Best Coast
- Jump Rope - Blue October
- Extraordinary Machine - Fiona Apple
- Big Time Sensuality - Björk
- Closer - Tegan and Sara
- Losers - The Belle Brigade
- Who I Am - Jessica Andrews
- Flowers in the Window - Travis
- The Subtleties of Chores & Unlocked Doors - desark
- A Better Son/Daughter - Rilo Kiley
- In Memoriam - Everybody Else
- Hero - Family of the Year
- We Will Become Silhouettes - The Postal Service
- One More Time with Feeling - Regina Spektor
- Happy Ending - Mika
every song reminds me of everything
I am making a mixtape for a friend. Making mixtapes is very difficult because you can’t do it without FEELING things!
I was born a girl, but that doesn’t matter because I was also born six pounds eleven ounces and that changed too.
I let my guard down for just a few moments and let myself feel and the pain rained down on me like a monsoon. It fills my chest so I can’t breathe. I’m so sad and I miss you so much and it takes so much goddamn work to try to forget about you every waking moment and sometimes I can’t and then I remember what we had and what I don’t have anymore and it’s too much to bear.
why is it always the woman who has to see past the beast in the man? why does she always have to clean his wounds, even after he has damaged her beyond repair? why is it always the man who is worthy of forgiveness for being a monster?
I want to see the beast in the beauty.
the half smile, half snarl. the unapologetic anger. I would like to see the man forgive the monster. to see her, blood and all, and love her anyway.
I’ve got like 1.5 jobs, I’m going to start taking a language class in the Spring, I’m planning to start two weekly podcasts, and I’m writing a book. Burnout in 3, 2, 1…
Probably have like 60 more years ahead of me jeeeeeezus